Tuesday, March 30, 2010

From the President's Office

I am proud to report that I survived the "Walk and Talk," Sharon Herzberger and I were joined by a student, Gino Marrone on our brisk stroll around campus. While the "Walk and Talk" is a fun way of mingling with the President, I would say that 7:30am is not the best time for mingling with collage students - most of campus was still asleep, while most commuters are still making their commute onto campus at that time.

In my experience, college time is different then that of the outside world. If you’re a college student who needs to call your partner for a project, calling at 11pm is often preferred and acceptable as opposed to calling and waking her up at 9am the next day. I think that perhaps in the future, the President would have more luck meeting with students over an afternoon pick-me-coffee or a midnight snack, then an early morning walk.
..............................*

I am now writing from within the President’s office, sitting at her very clean and organized desk, typing away on her computer, admiring the student self-portraits that decorate her walls. I just got back from a meeting with Jeanne Ortiz, who informed me of some exciting improvements being made to the Health Center on campus. In an effort to improve conditions for students, Stella Wohlfarth has coordinated extend hours that go later into the evening, arranged for massage therapy at reasonable prices as well as the services of a nutritionist and a dermatologist. In the near future, electronic scheduling will allow greater convenience to students in need of an appointment. These changes reflect the ongoing activity on campus towards improving student health care, moving towards a goal of overall wellness and illness prevention. I was impressed by what Jeanne Ortiz explained to me about the Health Center, her understanding and concerns reflected her commitment to continually looking out for the benefits of the students.

No comments:

Post a Comment